“I don’t know what to do!”
was the exact reaction I showed as soon as I took a bite into these cookies. I have never used spelt flour in baking. I’ve recently found about it, about a year ago, and ever since then I’ve had all the intention in the world to bake some goodies out of them, but I just never got around to buy some. Then, when I finally bought a small bag like almost two months ago, I didn’t initiate myself to take it out of the pantry and make something, anything.
Then, on one beautiful weekend morning, when I was brwosing through, as always, my kitchen pantry, trying to look to see what I can do with what I have, it suddenly struck me that I indeed need to make something out of the spelt flour before I go back to school.
After a short Google search for “spelt chocoalte chip cookies” I came across one that looked quite interesting. This recipe uses a combination of maple syrup and brown sugar for its sweetness. Who doesn’t like brown sugary maple concoction with chocolate chips? But I didn’t enough maple syrup in my fridge (I honestly had a spoonful of it left!). Then I remembered my agave nectar. How brilliant is that? Spelt chocolate chip cookies with agave nectar. I could just imagine how divine it would taste like, if it bakes well.
And it did. This recipe is more than perfect. I just adore it. I don’t really like eating cookies I make (maybe I will have a bite? that’s all) but I truly wanted to hide these from people’s eyes so that I can have them all. I ended up eating more than half of the batch. It was that delicious. The sweet, nutty taste of both agave syrup and spelt flour complimented each other perfectly. Chocolate chips are not the priority of these cookies. You don’t need that many chips. A chocoholic like me even thought that the cookie part was so much better than chocoalte chip part.
Pistachio Chocolate Chip Spelt Cookies
Adapted from http://sweetandnatural.wordpress.com/2009/04/30/walnut-chocolate-chip-spelt-cookies/
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup Sucanat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 1/4 teaspoon molasses (I omitted it)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup grain sweetened chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachio
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a large bowl, mix together spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, Sucanat and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together maple syrup, molasses, vanilla extract and canola oil until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts. Place spoonfuls of batter on cookie sheets and bake for 10-11 minutes. Makes 12 cookies.